The Candrian Olympics

Back in August, while we were watching Track and Field in the Olympics (always my favorite part of the Olympics, btw) Lorena proclaimed that she would beat me in a 400m dash. I don't know what inspired her over-exuberance, but not only did she claim that she would beat me, but she started talking trash. I patiently and humbly tried to explain to her that 400m was still within my range of speed, and that, although I may be pushing 30, back-in-the-day I was pretty freakin' fast (3rd in Region in the 100 in high school? Come on Babe, you aren't dealing with some slow white guy.) This quickly spiraled into another one of our infamous "bets." We would have a 400m dash, and the loser would owe the winner one hour of massage.

Over the next several weeks Lorena proceeded to run her mouth. Although she readily admitted that I am still faster then everyone in my soccer leagues, and she saw how I completed the tri, she whole-hartily claimed to believe that 400m was simply too far for my unnatural speed.

On Tuesday, the race was on. We met at the Potomac School after Lorena's Cross-Country teams practice (she is the assistant coach). Almost all of the team stuck around to watch the big race. After warming up (I've never been a big fan of the "warm-up," I always feel like I am just wasting energy better saved for the race) the other assitant coach told Lorena that he thought she would win by at least 10 yards. WHAT? First Lorena talking smack and now the other coach? Are you guys seriously trying to inspire me to embarass my wife in front of her team? Hey, if thats what you want, that is what you will get. I'm just saying...

So I gave Lorena the option of which lane she would want. She strategically choose lane 2, putting my in lane 3. She didn't want me to be able to see her "theoretically" catching me on the inside. Poor girl didn't know what she was in for. I told Lorena that I would only need to run at about 70% for the first 300m, and then I would just turn it on and blow her away over the last 100m. She thought I would hit the wall at 300. Guess who was right?

It was kind of fun having her students spread around the track yelling "Go Candrian." Although I guess the cheering didn't really help Lorena that much.

Needless to say, I will be enjoying that hour long massage tonight, after my soccer game. Like taking candy from a baby.

Scott  – (6:41 PM)  

I'm glad Rob's faster than Lorena in something. Face it, put a saddle and 2 wheels below you and it wouldn't even be blogworthy. Angie says congratulations to Rob then adds: "but in actuality Lorena kind of won because Rob was so proud of himself that he blogged about it."

d  – (8:54 AM)  

Love the tags on this post. Way to go lightning.

Lorena  – (9:42 AM)  

"I patiently and humbly tried to explain"....
HA! Rob - you totally gave away just how much you are stretching the facts, just in that line alone. Everyone knows you would never explain something patiently and humbly.

Rob  – (4:58 PM)  

I only deal in patience and humility. Anyone who knows me knows that is true.

Amy Lovell  – (9:53 PM)  

A Candrian, in theory, should be able to beat anyone when it comes to sprints. Way to go!

Mike  – (9:10 PM)  

Wow Rob! I'm glad you didn't tear your ACL again!

Anna  – (8:36 AM)  

She let you win.

Hone  – (5:08 PM)  

I remember playing football with you on the mission. You always had ridiculous speed.

Hone  – (5:08 PM)  

I remember playing football with you on the mission. You always had ridiculous speed.

Jake  – (12:11 PM)  

I'm surprised she challenged you....

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP