President Gordon B. Hinckley
I can't remember ever having felt a sense of loss at someone's passing, whom I have never actually met before, the way I have this week after President Hinckley passed away. I will miss him! I guess it's because there are probably no other public figures whom I admire, respect, and love as much as I do Gordon B. Hinckley. He has been the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for well over a decade now, and I have grown to love listening to him speak and trusting in his guidance. Even at 97 years of age, his words were always infused with wit, great optimism (not a hint of grumpy-old-man syndrome), and wisdom. His pure life of service made him a trusted leader and exemplar.
I was reading in my journal and found a couple of my favorite quotes from him.

On Charity...
"One of the greatest challenges we face in our hurried, self-centered lives is to follow this counsel of the master - to take the time and make the effort to care for others, to develop and exercise the one quality that would enable us to change the lives of others - what the scriptures call charity. We tend to think of charity as donations to a homeless shelter or a check written to a favorite institution that dispenses funds to those in need. But best defined, charity is that pure love exemplified by Jesus Christ."

Things Work Out...
"It isn't as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don't worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us if we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings. He will hear our prayers."

Here is a nice article in The Washington Post.

RachelAA  – (10:06 PM)  

The second quote was just what I needed - thanks for sharing!

Dana Broderick  – (12:44 AM)  

I feel the same way about President Hinckley. I am going to miss him!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP