Random Stuff I Feel Like Writing

Today I gave a 10 minute talk in church, in Swedish. It felt good to use what I have been trying to learn. Although I resorted to my least favorite method of speaking, which is reading from a script I wrote ahead of time. A pre-scripted spontaneous joke is sort of an oxymoron, you know?

At first I tried to write it in Swedish, but that totally stifled all creative thinking. So I cheated and wrote it in english and then used translate.google.com (amazing!) to make the translation process faster and more accurate. Even though I explained that before I began my talk, I don't think very many people, if any, realize what that website is and so now everyone I go to church with thinks that I am way smarter and better at Swedish than I actually am.
Normally I totally wouldn't mind people thinking I am smarter than I am, except that now they expect me to understand much more of what they are saying to me than I actually do. Just because I can read Swedish doesn't stop it from still sounding like jibberish when I hear it.

I got to throw in a great quote:
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow." - Mark Twain

Michael was sitting in the pews making squaks, farting noises and blowing raspberries the whole time. At one point I made the mistake of looking at him being a total clown and making a ruckus, and I broke mid-sentence with the beginnings of laughter before I regathered myself. He is such a goof.

In other uninteresting news about my progress with the Swedish language, a couple months ago I actually read an entire book in Swedish. Matilda, by Roald Dahl. I think I read it as a kid in like 6th grade or something. It was really fun to read again and totally enjoyable as an adult. And I don't think I have felt that sort of pride for reading a book since I was in like 2nd grade. I was beaming when I finished. I wanted to make a book chart for myself so I could put a gold star on it.

It has been a really, really long winter here. So dark and cold. Shoveling snow off our driveway is a harder and harder task every time, because the stack on the side is becoming a pretty high fortress to throw the snow over. All winter I think there have only been a total of two sweltering hot days when the temps reached a high of 33 degrees - so nothing ever melts off.

One thing I took up to make the winter more fun is cross country skiing. I LOVE it! There are groomed trails all over our island, but the ice is thick enough that I've even been out skiing over the ocean. I've also gotten out before the snow plow came and skied literally right out of my driveway. This is honestly a dream come true for me. One day I went to a local spot with good groomed tracks and decided I was going to have fun and "race" some people. They did not know they were racing me, the poor fools. It was some of the most fun I've had since pre-pregnancy. I really really need to find a real race to enter sometime soon, even though I will totally get my butt kicked once anyone is actually aware of the fact that they are in a race.

Rob is pretty amazing, getting through the long winter by refusing to wuss out on his bike to work goal even on the most blizzardy of days. He had studded tires for the ice, but it hardly helps when it is fresh snow. He has slipped, but then he landed in a nice soft pillow of deep snow so that it was no harm and actually sort of fun. He is a strange mix of hot-and-sweaty yet cold-as-ice when he comes in the door at night, with grime all over. What a man!

Here is one of Biggie Small's favorite activities this month:

Davis Doings  – (6:13 PM)  

Wow, Lorena! I will give you a gold star for reading a book in Swedish! Biggy Smalls is as cute as ever. His hair looks reddish in the pictures. How cool is that!? Glen received the president's award at work...a glass bowl made by Anna Ehrner...a Kosta Boda designer of SWEDEN. We think of you every time we see it. It looks like a blue marble cut in half. :)

AJ Candrian  – (6:48 PM)  

Glad you are staying out of trouble Lorena! Would have loved to hear your talk in Swedish. I think I am going to come visit the last week of March or first week of April. I need to buy a ticket! Looking forward to seeing you and little Michael!

RachelAA  – (8:50 PM)  

VERY IMPRESSIVE - totally awesome experience and I love this post. Well done.

Sara  – (10:04 PM)  

You'll be dreaming in Swedish before you know it! Cool new sport - way to enjoy the freezing temps! That little man is too stinkin cute (but we're partial to red heads at our house!)

Brittany  – (9:07 AM)  

Lots of comments . . .
1) I laughed out loud at work when I read about your Swedish talk. I wish I could have been there to hear it and hold little Michael in my lap while you gave it.
2) Cross country skiing has got to be an absolutely amazing workout. I wish I was there to do it with you, because while biking isn't my thing, I think I would actually like skiing.
3) Is Michael finally getting some hair? It looks like it's getting longer on top.
and finally...
4) Can you please write posts like this more often? I seriously love the way you write. If you had a daily article I would be your first subscriber. :)

Amy Lovell  – (10:59 AM)  

Loved this post Lorena. I second what Brittany said, I love your writing, you make me laugh. I wish I could have heard your talk in Swedish. Glad you have a goofball kid to distract you while you're speaking too. Can't wait to come visit, and maybe we can go cross-country skiing together again. Last time you kicked my butt though.

Lisa  – (10:38 AM)  

I think I need to come for a visit... He will be riding a bike before I get to meet him !!
Your funny!

Xoxo Grandma  – (3:47 PM)  

Love the foot in the mouth shot of Michael. I could bring you a special Swedish reading chart and stickers...

Dana Broderick  – (12:16 AM)  

That was a total random post but so fun to read! I need to check your blog more often! Ok-first LOVE that you took up cross country skiing! Did you know I used to do it growing up? And...your talk in Sweedish, with you laughing in the middle b/c of Michael-that makes me miss you!! I can just envision it! :) I'm sure everyone was totally confused. :) Anyway, need to catch up some more....

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP